Sunday, August 13, 2006

 

Le Drakkar


After trying to get into the restaurant at the Trophie and discovering that it was full we headed back into town and chose to ask in at the Drakkar, as fitting in a two is often quite easy. They said we would have to wait ten minutes so we did outside, Dad was able to talk with a couple of the guy eating under the canopy for most of it.


As we were seated just inside by the back wall the complementary glasses of champagne were rolled out again- not something I remember from last year. Dad says that he has been sat in this very place many times over the years, and I remember from last year the very same seat when I ordered Chateaubriand, and was greatly disappointed at the time.



Tonight we were uninspired by the starters so went for the safe bet of Salad du chevre chaud et saumon fume and Soup au poisson- Dad once again loading the croutons with the garlic sauce so to overpower the beautiful flavour of the soup- but thats the way he likes it.

We chose to treat Hector this evening- he's got himself a Pina Colada on crushed ice.

For our main courses we took the safe option of ordering steaks, au poin. I recommended the entrecote after seeing the lady sat next to us at dinner the other night having it while I chose the Onglet with chalots and haricots verts. I've only recently been introduced to the world of onglet, and I still am not quite sure what it is but all I know is it tastes fantastic.


The last time I had it was also the first- Meeting up with friends, Matt, Ollie and Duncan at The Eagle, Farringdon, London to do some research for Duncan's dissertation about the evolution of "Gastro Pubs", The Eagle being the first of these. My onglet was perfectly cooked, and with such mouthwatering flavours transferred from the meat juices into the caramalised chalots- this was rivalling all the others for being the best meal of the holiday.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?